Monday, January 12, 2015

Rose's Pawn Shop/The Bulls/In The Valley Below at The Satellite

It was 8 free nights of music at The Satellite.  I wanted to head out to more than just one show, but I'm getting old and going out every night would kill me.  So I selected one.  It was to see In The Valley Below.

Rose's Pawn Shop.  I caught the back half of this Americana band.  They'll have you dancing to that heavenly sound.



The Bulls.  Sometimes a band surprises you.  I saw this band set up and I was thinking, based on their fashion style they're going to follow the hipster Echo Park/Silverlake rock sound.  Nope.  They have a shoegaze sound that is mixed in with a touch of Enya.  It makes for a beautiful mix.

Quote of the night:  I can't believe that during this whole set I was wearing my car keys.



In The Valley Below.  I saw this band once before and fell in love with them.  It took awhile, but I finally caught up with them again.  Thank you, The Satellite, for this.  They opened the set with "Stand Up."  How can one not get pumped up during this anthem song?  They just move from one great song to another.  And their stage show:  Angela Gail and Jeffrey Jacobs duo just has that familiarity that can only come about from a deep emotional connection.

Note:  Jeffrey broke a string.  Instead of just standing around while Jeffrey re-did his string, Angela and drummer Joshua Clair hit out a few beats.  I loved it.  Many times, bands just sit around in semi-panic as their fellow musician gets a new string.




No comments: