Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Rainman/Jazz Mills/Tom Brosseau/Doom and Gloom/Pageants at Pehrspace

Time passes too quickly. Over a year and a half has passed since I last went to Pehrspace. I finally made it back and went big time, catching 5 bands. Honestly, I usually just catch 2 or 3 bands when I head out.  First up was Rainman.  Now to be honest, I only caught half of her and her backup band's set.  I walked in and the place was packed.  And to add to that, the audience was attentive.  Sometimes you head out and you can hear the audience talking over the band.  Hotel Cafe is the place for her next set.

Jazz Mills rang up next.  She's from Texas.  Actually, she's the reason I showed up earlier than I planned.  I happened to check out her Facebook page and was intrigued by her sound.  It reminded me of a personal favorite band, The Mots Nouveaux.  She didn't disappoint in the blue/green lights of Pehrspace.

Comment of the set via her singer partner (who's name I failed to catch):  I need to take my jacket off.  It's getting hot in here.  You all need to take your photos now.  (See above photo for his football team loyalties.)

Tom Brosseau brought a 1800's North Dakota vibe to the crowd.  Most of those over the age of 30 were there specifically for him.  His set provided a glimpse back to over-looked and under-appreciated sounds of a long ago America.  He also told some amusing stories.  One story was about his grandmother.  She was old and required care so his mother and aunt took care of her needs.  One of those needs was a bath.  And so on that first bath she informed her daughters:  You start at the bottom and work your way up as high as possible and you start at the top and work  your way down as far as possible.  And I will take care of possible.

The Doom and Gloom duo switched it up from the singer-songwriter sounds to pop.  Their sound has an infectious quality to it with lead singer Nate bringing the enthusiasm.  Amusing moment of their set;  They were singing the lyrics, "Just keep me."  Apparently, Liska ended up singing, "Don't keep me."  From what I can gather, Liska and Nate are married.  

Pageants closed the night out for me with sonic flurry.  One could tell that lead singer Rebecca Coleman was feeling under the weather.  This perhaps resulted in the set being cut short by a song or two.  Still, I felt I was sent flying out of Pehrspace after their set.


Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments: