Thursday, January 15, 2015

Conway/Wildling at The Satellite

Maybe it was due to the college football championship game that I watched before heading out to The Satellite, but I just couldn't help thinking of sports while watching Conway and Wildling.  I was thinking basketball, boxing and kick boxing.  With Conway wearing silver Nike high tops, I immediately started to think basketball as she shot through her staccato beat set.  Then she started to kick and I switched over to kick boxing.  Then I started to think, I'd hate to go out jogging with her.  She'd leave me in the dust within minutes.

Wilding is the residency band for Janaury.  Their music is smooth and earnest, but as they went into their song 'Hummingbird' I started to think boxing.  Muhammad Ali:  float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.  Okay, neither is a hummingbird, but there is something to how lead singer Ryan Levine moves on stage that reminds me of a boxer who is able to send his opponent into fits because he can duck and weave away from any thrown punch.

Comment of the night (from someone in the audience):  "I'm so close to the stage that I feel like I can touch their acne and I don't like it."  And that is someone who shouldn't hang out in the local Los Angeles music scene.
Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments: