Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Fontaines and Franky Flowers at Silverlake Lounge

Franky Flower.  Their music online has a background buzz that makes you think about an old cassette that has gone through too many uses.  And yet, they're too young for cassettes -- well, okay, I do know that cassettes are still sold by local bands in a retro-cool fashion statement and perhaps they sell their music on cassettes, as well.  The Smell, for just one set, invaded Silverlake Lounge and I was happy it did.



The Fountains.  They call their music new-wop.  I will be honest, I'm not sure what that means.  I will give it my spin:  the lollipop sounds of the 1950s, re-invented for the 1980s and then twisted a touch for the now.  Give them a listen and you'll fall in love with their retro-new sound.  Their fans also seem to have a retro-hipness to them -- they aren't hipsters, they're a new fashion statement.


No comments: