Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Singles/W.A.R.S./Kissing Cousins at The Satellite

The Singles. I saw them at Brokechella back in April.  I say take The Beatles and add in a touch of The Rolling Stones and you have The Singles.  Or sometimes switch the examples around so that they sound more like The Rolling Stones.  Nicky Veltman, the drummer, had some unexpected problems during their set.  Her microphone just wouldn't stay in place.  To help her out, one guy jumped on stage and tried his best.  The microphone stayed in place for a song or two.  Then the sound guy came up on stage and tried to tape the microphone in place.  It still didn't work out.  And I have to add one other thing about the drummer:  she has one quirky onstage smile.



W.A.R.S.. I fell in love with a band called Great Northern when I saw them at the Eagle Rock Music Festival oh so long ago.  I caught them as often as I could.  And then they disappeared from the music scene.  For awhile, I thought it was because they were recording a new album, but after awhile I just concluded they had decided to call it quits.  Well, they're back as W.A.R.S.  And I'm so happy they're back.



Kissing Cousins. Four gals with a guy on drums.  Their music just drives forward in a fury of madness.  And yet they look rather calm on stage.  In fact, they don't even look like they're in a rock band.  One dresses as if she was at church.  Another like she's having brunch in Echo Park (a written nod to the comedian that introduced the bands at The Satellite).  A third like she was having a fun time at Griffith Park and the final enjoying a Friday house party.  Diversity (okay, all female, but in style) works for this band.


No comments: