Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A Movie Review. Thor: The Dark World

Thor: The Dark World. Sometimes you watch a movie on cable and you're just happy you didn't catch the movie in the theaters. This is one of those movies.  I generally love the Marvel movies.  In fact, I thought the first Iron Man was one of the best movies of that year.  And I honestly think that Captain America:  The Winter Soldier is one of the best movies this year.  But for some reason, I just don't like the Thor series.  I didn't like the first one and then here comes this one and I almost couldn't finish it.  I find that strange since I love the two actresses:  Natalie Portman (Jane Foster) and Kat Dennings (Darcy Lewis).  Maybe it has something to do with that hammer and a nagging question in the back of my mind which is:  why is some advance society fighting with swords and yet at the same time flying some rather advanced fighter jets from thousands of years ago (okay, the sword fighters are from Asgard while the advance fighter jets are the Dark Elves).  It could also be that I feel that Chris Hemsworth (Thor) plays a one dimensional character.  I have to say the only thing I liked about this movie were the one liners that Kat Dennings tossed out all too infrequently.

So what's going on?  Thor hasn't been around for awhile as he's trying to bring peace to the nine realms.  Jane Foster is attempting to move on in her life, actually going on a date.  A strange anomaly develops, sending Jane and Darcy to investigate.  Jane gets sucked into this anomaly where she becomes infected with something called the Aether.  Earlier in time (like thousands of years earlier), the Dark Elves attempted to use the Aether to bring darkness to the universe.  The Asgard army stopped this from happening and hid the Aether.  The fact that Jane becomes infected (or whatever is the proper Marvel word) with the Aether has to be a one in a trillion chance and the very fact that she isThor's love interest has to make the chances even more than one in a trillion.  Well, this unlikely situation results in the Dark Elves attempting to gain back power.  You guess it, Thor has to try and stop this from happening.

No comments: