Monday, December 22, 2014

Pittsburgh Steelers vs Kansas City Chiefs: 20 - 12

This was one of those games where it appeared that the Steelers' offense just never got clicking.  I decided to look at some stats to see if it was just my imagination.  Kansas City had more offensive yards:  327 vs 282.  Pittsburgh had 52 offensive plays versus 66 for Kansas City.  I also looked back at some recent games:  against Atlanta, Pittsburgh had 58 plays, Cincinnati, 70; New Orleans, 82; Tennessee, 73. New York 62.  Yep, I think maybe the Steelers' offense never had the ability to get clicking.

Of course, that doesn't take away that Heath Miller had a great game.  On the other hand, it felt like Le'Veon Bell didn't kick it.  I'm hoping they're able to work another running back into the line-up, giving Bell an occasional breather.

The Pittsburgh defense was solid up front, but not so much against the pass.  Kansas City QB Alex Smith was sacked 6 times.  He looked like Ben Roethlisberger from two years ago.  After sitting out a couple games, James Harrison played a massive game.  I wonder how many linebackers can play at age 37 (I'm thinking next year here).  If I'm looking at the stats correctly, he has to be close to being one of the oldest linebackers out there.  As for the cornerbacks, they always give you a little heartburn.  On the other hand, if the Steelers up front defense continues to play like they did against Kansas City, it won't give QBs much time to take advantage of those corners.

      

No comments: