Friday, November 21, 2014

Santa Cruz, CA: random thoughts

I spent a number of weeks hanging out in Santa Cruz due to work.

Here's some random thoughts about my time up there:

Southwest

I spent time last year in San Francisco.  This year, it was Santa Cruz.  I don't know if there was a recent policy change, but the flight attendants that worked the LAX to San Francisco route were pretty funny while those doing the Burbank to San Jose route were by the book.

When I went to San Francisco one Sunday, I was on a plane that was running low on fuel due to air traffic control.  We almost diverted to San Jose.  Well, on a Friday flight from San Jose to Burbank, the plane did a sudden fly-by driven by the fact that the plane before us blew out a tire.  That was interesting.

There was definitely a small crowd that was on each Burbank to San Jose route who would immediately run to the Jamba Juice after getting off the plane.  I was one of those individuals.

Santa Cruz:  Best Pizza

I wrote a review regarding Bantam.  My favorite pizza; however, Woodstock's Pizza.  I have to admit it is largely driven by my memories of eating Woodstock's Pizza while going to school in San Luis Obispo.  But let's just also say that their pizza rocks.

Santa Cruz:  Best Vegetarian Restaurant

Saturn Cafe.  Perfect comfort food.  Admittedly, Cafe Gratitude is far more healthy, but that's perhaps part of the problem.  It is too healthy.  Hey, I like my fries and Saturn Cafe hits the spot.  Also a hat tip to the vegetarian dish at the Greek Authentic Cuisine.

Santa Cruz itself

I didn't get to hang out in Santa Cruz as a tourist, but I will say that it is a lovely small town to spend a week.  And if I was a wealthy person, I'd even consider buying a house there and when the annual September heatwaves hit SoCal, I'd be off to Santa Cruz.

You have the beach.  And then not to far away, you have hills populated by pine trees.  It is a lovely place to spent time at the beach and then head off for a nice hike in nature (or vice versa).  And one can do this all on the same day and do so by spending less than 30 minutes driving from point A to point B (well, it might take longer during vacation season).

Downtown Santa Cruz also provides some nice stores -- though I once again have to be loyal and say that Downtown San Luis Obispo ranks a little higher up the scale.

A handful of photos







 

No comments: