Thursday, July 5, 2012

Family of the Year and Tashaki Miyaki

It was Bootleg bound to catch Family of the Year and Tashaki Miyaki. Tashaki Miyaki was the first band of the evening.  I actually went to the Bootleg on this particular Monday to catch Tashaki Miyaki.  Correction, I went to the Bootleg to catch Family of the Year, but I went on this particular Monday of Family of the Year's two week residency because of Tashaki Miyaki.  As I've never seen this band before, why would I go on this particular night because of them?  The simple reason is that the band name intrigued me.  I thought they were playing at 11 p.m., but they went on at 9 p.m. instead.  Luckily, I showed up early.  Their sound?  Well, bloggers are describing them as similar to Jesus and Mary Chain.  Sounds good enough to me.  My personal take:  brooding and intriguing.  I'd have a photo of them below, but they requested that no photos be taken.

Family of the Year took the stage next.  This is the feel good band of Los Angeles.  After one of their 30 minutes sets, I just can't help but smile.  The first half of their set was driven by their now familiar songs -- songs that I am more than happy to sing along with -- while their second half was new material.  

Comment of the Night 1 (audience):  Family of a Lifetime.

Comment of the Night 2 (Family of the Year):  We have our album for sale.  It is a pay what you can deal.  You can even pay us with pills . . . you know the kind I mean . . . Tylenol.      

Family of the Year

No comments: