Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Movie Review: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games. Is it possible that as time goes by that you end with less and less respect for a movie. Well, that’s my case with Hunger Games. Yes, I know, heresy. Problem one: the society. I approached this movie as representing the fall of the Roman Empire. I wanted immorality. I got stuck with folks in the Capital who wore really outrageous fashion and ate high calorie desserts. It looked like Paris. Problem two: 12 to 18 year olds? Highly unfair. Let’s say both had the same skill sets, isn’t it still unfair? An 18 year old can probably throw a knife farther, can throw a harder right hook. Problem three: was Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) going through the seven stages of grieve? Maybe not, but the character seemed to be all over the place. When his name was chosen, he looked dismayed. I would be. Then in the train he seemed to backstab Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) when he headed off to get some tips. Then he basically seemed to want to quit. What’s up with this kid? Problem four: District One takes this game seriously. None of the others do? I know it is a sick game, but the other Districts are essentially allowing some random individual to go up against a trained assassin from District One? Isn’t that sort of cruel to your own children? At least, give them a fighting chance. Problem five: I could probably write a 500 page essay on all the problems I had with the game itself: from what I call the “kill zone” to the genetically altered bees/wasps to the very last showdown.

Thumbs up:  the female actresses.

I should admit I found it watchable, just not a movie that can be highly praised.

No comments: