Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books: My thoughts

I got a book signed by Robert Kirkman, Walking Dead.  It shall be a prized possession.



At the panel discussion about science and finding the thread a question was asked about how many folks were first timers at the LA Times Festival of Books.  A handful of hands went up.  Who had gone to the festival for at least five years?  Most of the room -- me included, I think I'm around ten years.  Every single Festival, 17 years?  About as many hands went up as had gone up for this being their first year.

To me the most interesting panel discussion was on Los Angeles history.  There wasn't any deep dive, but there were interesting comments about the Hollywood sign and our police department's role in our history.

I did happen to capture this photo of Betty White -- slightly out of focus.


 

Assessment:  I was jumping from panel to panel so I didn't get a great feel for the Festival, but . . . I did get the sense that there were fewer people at the Festival versus when it was over at UCLA.  And maybe just maybe fewer exhibitors.  Sorry, I am bias towards UCLA.  On the other hand, the advantage of USC seems to be the room sizes for the panel discussions.  I just got this sense that the rooms are larger (obviously, UCLA has some big halls such as Royce), meaning it is easier to get into a panel -- of course, this could also be due to my sense that fewer folks were attending this year.

No comments: