Monday, November 14, 2011

LA Derby Dolls: Sirens vs. Varsity Brawlers -- 127-139

I looked through my previous blogs and it would seem this was the first time I've ever seen the Sirens and Varsity Brawlers. I've usually gone to Tough Cookies vs. The Swarm games (a couple all star games tossed in there). This created a disadvantage for me: who did I want to win? I had no clue.

Interesting game. The Varsity Brawlers took rather significant leads in the 1st and 3rd quarters while the Sirens fought back in the 2nd and 4th quarters. Going into half time, the score was tied 66-66. Come the end of the third quarter, it was 117-75 Varsity Brawlers. As can be seen by the final score, the game tightened up with the Sirens making a game out of it. The Sirens fought back to actually cut the lead down to 129-127, but then there was a time out and a conference between refs. Penalties. It was a power jam for the Varsity Brawlers with 3:16 Cris Affliction lapping twice and racking up 10 points.

3:16 Cris Affliction. So I didn't come into this game knowing any of the Derby Dolls, but Cris Affliction stood out rather quickly. She's a very confident jammer. A couple times when she broke out of the pack, I noticed that she took a moment to wave to the crowd. Looking at the Derby Dolls website, I saw that she's the third best jammer so I guess she can take a moment to wave. I also noticed that for the last power jam (the jam that sealed the Varsity Brawlers' victory) that she called off the jam a couple seconds early even though she was in a power jam. You got to love that just a bit, the cockiness.

I went with a group of friends. In the second half, there were some very vocal derby dolls standing next to me -- very into the strategy of the game. I sort of wish I could have over-heard them better (it gets loud inside the Doll Factory). It would have been like listening to NFL television announcers.

No comments: