Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Big Black Delta, Kristeen Young and War Widow at Satellite

My Monday circuit sent me to the Satellite recently where I caught War Widow, Kristeen Young and residency band, Big Black Delta. War Widow had an animal skull (replica) out front on the lead singer's microphone stand:  water buffalo, ram, not good with naming animals.  I'm not sure how long they've had that skull for, but on Monday night they bid it farewell as the lead singer accidentally pushed his microphone too far in one direction and it fell over onto the floor and in the process the skull shattered.  Angry vocals mixed in with a synth, making for a compelling sound.  Kristeen Young went up next.  It took a second or two to get used to her Béla Bartók-inspired keyboard style, but once I adjusted my Silver Lake tendencies I really enjoyed her set -- especially when she went with the theatrics as seen below.  Big Black Delta finished out the night for me.  Flashing lights.  Two drummers.  Electronics.  Dancing/jumping across the stage.  It reminded me a little of We are the World's set at Silver Lake Jubilee.  Therefore, Loved It. 

War Widow



Kristeen Young



Big Black Delta

No comments: