Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Jules Larson at Hotel Cafe

It was off to Hotel Café to catch Jules Larson. This was the first time I’d seen Jules Larson as a solo artist. Solo is the key word here as I’ve followed her music career since 2007 as I was a big fan of Overnight Lows, a band she fronted. If you ever have the time, I’d suggest going to their myspace page. I’m sure you’ll fall in love with songs like ‘The Beaks,’ ‘My Oh My,’ and ‘Castle in the Sand.’ I have also on occasion checked out her progress as a solo artist, noticing that she’d gotten her songs on various television shows and commercials. This just happened to be the first time I was able to catch one of her sets.

As for her set, the style was definitely a departure from her Overnight Lows days. There was a hint of country in her first song. She also took turns playing guitar and piano. It took a couple songs for me to re-focus from those Overnight Lows days, but as the set continued I did enjoy the new songs from Jules Larson – as well as the one gloved hand.

Comment: Jules was looking at her band, “I love you guys.” The audience saying they loved her, as well. Jules replying, “I was talking to my band. I’m kidding. I love you, also.”

Side note: After her set, I took off for Echo Curio as I’d read that they were doing a secret show. I got there around 11 p.m. and the place was shut down. Oh well, I suspect the police shut them down rather early.

Hotel Cafe Photos
(Not the quality photos I'd like to post, but Hotel Cafe requests no flash photograph and I don't have the quality camera to take proper no flash photos.)






Old Overnight Lows Photos, Key Club, Kiss or Kill night, September 2007.



No comments: