Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Duke Basketball vs. Kansas State: 82-68

I got to catch my first Duke basketball game of the season. I should have caught the Marquette game, but failed to set my DVR.

After say 5 minutes, I’m not sure the game was really in doubt – even if this was essentially a home game for Kansas State. Ninety-nine percent of the crowd must have been wearing purple.

Defense: At times, the defense looked like it was swarming Kansas State. It reminded me of how Villanova took us out of the Tournament in 2009. On the other hand, Kansas State had 39 at the half. I’m really not sure how they scored those points, because some Kansas State players (Jacob Pullen) were throwing up bricks. Well, I guess I do know, Curtis Kelly was hot and kept them close.

Kyrie Irving: He looked good. I’d just argue that he needs to learn when to take risks and when not to take risks on the offensive end – which will come. I remember one time specifically when he drove to the basket surrounded by three Kansas State players. I can’t help but believe a better option would have been to slow down and set up the half court offense. Finally, he has an interesting way of cradling the basketball when driving to the hoop.

Kyle Singler: He disappeared in the game, but when all was said and done he had 11 points. Problem is that he got into foul trouble in the first half and had to take a seat.

Nolan Smith: It looks like he’s the player they go to when the clock runs down, which resulted in his poor shooting percentage.

Andre Dawkins/Seth Curry: They make this backcourt deadly, because out goes Smith or Irving and in comes some deadly three point shooters.

Offense: As advertised, the offense is much faster this year, almost frantic at times.

Score: I'd say of that 14 point victory, it was really an 18 point victory that was dropped by 4 points when Kansas State decided it would still play some hard basketball in the last 30 seconds or so.

No comments: