Saturday, April 10, 2010

Silent Star and Helen Stellar at Spaceland

After watching Duke beat Butler for the national championship, I headed off to Spaceland to check out some bands. I wanted to catch Mere Mortals, but when I got there I found out that they were replaced with a band called Silent Star.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Silent Star. They had an old time fashion taste associated with them. It was a good time. Amusing moments . . . the lead singer had some issues with microphone. He accidentally disconnected his microphone from the cord. He mentioned that he tended to do that at least once during every set. Another time he fumbled with his microphone stand. Then during an acoustic song, he suffered through some feedback.

Next up was Helen Stellar. They're the residency band for April. Shoegaze. I do have a soft spot for shoegaze. Lights were turned down for most of the set. During one song the lead singer asked for the lights to get turned up. For a brief moment, some bright strobe-like lights beamed before they reset to brighter lights than previously but not strobe-like bright. I hate when Spaceland does something like that. I think a lot of other folks didn't like it either, because I heard some brief protests. Luckily, it was only a brief second. I guess it is how the lighting system works at Spaceland.


Silent Star





Helen Stellar



No comments: