Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Duke Basketball vs. Butler: 61-59

We are the national champions!!!

Intense. I was on the edge of my seat nearly the whole game. Interestingly, I just slumped back for the last 30 seconds or so. I was just too stressed out. I was just too worried. I didn't want to look.

I will say I’m amazed this game was so close, which says a lot about Butler. I believe it was Bill Walton, interviewed on a radio station that said, “Duke had the better offense. The better defense. The better coach. And yet Butler nearly won the game.” I totally agree. The first half was a time spent figuring out each other, but it seemed to me that Duke just wanted to blow out Butler in the second half, but it just never happened. The knock out punch was there, but it just failed to strike.

And then we were left with that near miracle heave from half court by Gordon Hayward.

What I found most interesting about the game was the last 2:30 minutes when Duke was up by 5. It looked to me that Duke decided to place a bet. They were up by only two possessions. They decided to milk the clock instead of playing at their normal speed. It obviously worked out, but I was worried that they were playing too conservatively too early. Also, the Brian Zoubek missed second free throw with about three seconds left was totally strategy. It was basically saying we’re either going to win it or lose it here. We’re going to miss that shot and hopefully take a whole second off the clock and then see how quickly Butler can take the ball down the court for a good three point shot. All calculated strategy that worked. All Coach K.

Things I loved: The defense put on Gordon Hayward. I think we had Butler figured out in the second half, but I don’t think Butler had us figured out. Our fourth national championship. The fact that this was a very unexpected championship. The fact that I consider this a miracle season.

Things I didn’t love: I’ve got to throw in one final criticism for the year; Duke wasn’t able to put away Butler like I thought they should have in the second half. I remember listening to the announcers around the five minute mark saying that it looked like Duke was trying to put this game away. I agree. It just didn’t happen, which is my way of praising Butler.

Update 4/6. Regarding Kyle Singler, in my mind, he has to test the market and see where he stands in terms of the draft. If he is a lottery pick, he should take it. If he comes in as a low first round pick he should probably stay another year, because he could slip to the second round. If he's somewhere in between, well that's a tough choice to make.

No comments: