Monday, April 5, 2010

Duke Basketball vs. West Virginia: 78-57

First off, after initial reports being that Da'Sean Butler might only have a sprained knee, it looks like the injury is much worse. I believe I heard him scream, "I can't walk. I can't walk." That was extremely painful to hear.

I cannot believe what a great game Duke played. I think as many commentators have said, this was the best game Duke's played this year. You had the Big Three hitting shots: Jon Scheyer, Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith. My constant issue with Duke not having an inside presence in terms of scoring was blown up as they drove into the key almost at will as well as the fact that the big men got some scores down low. Brian Zoubek grabbed some awesome rebounds and then tossed the ball out for three-point shots (though honestly, I think he should have gone up for a shot on one or two of those rebounds, and he may have even gotten fouled for a potential three point play from the free throw line -- I believe that when open you've got to go for the 99% shot versus the 50% shot.)

Yes, Butler got hurt with about 9 minutes to go, but this game was already over at that point. It should also be noted that the intensity of the game declined dramatically after the injury. You could just tell that Duke had total control of the game. As for Joe Mazzulla who got cocky in the 2008 game and actually was a bit cocky in a pre-game interview, was held to 2-5 shooting for 4 points as well as 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 turnovers. Essentially, not a great stat line.

Admittedly, this game would have been closer if West Virginia hadn't lost their starting point guard, but that is life.

In the end, an amazingly solid game by Duke. If they play this way on Monday, they'll be cutting down the nets. Peaked too soon? From a Duke fan, I hope their peak play comes on today.

No comments: