Thursday, April 20, 2017

Draemings with Jesse Jo Stark, Ever So Android, Brass Box at The Echo

The Echo. One thing I've learned about the Los Angeles music scene: if you're interested in checking out a specific night and you suddenly see an added name pop up on the website and if that band/individual is up first, you better show up early even if you don't have a clue who that individual is. That was the case on this specific Draemings residency night.

I noticed that Jesse Jo Stark was added to the line-up. I'm not hip on the fashion scene so I had no clue who she was, but after doing some research I learned a whole lot more. I made sure I was there by 8:00 p.m. as were a whole lot of other individuals. Her music has that Mazzy Star feel to it. That is a connection that one can't complain about. She was calm and comfortable on stage while her bassist had this gritted teeth wild look that just caught my attention.

Jesse Jo Stark
After Jesse Jo Stark, Ever So Android came on stage. This was my second time seeing this band. They are one of my new favorites. The lead singer paces that stage like a caged animal.

Just before their set I had the following paraphrased conversation with a fellow photographer:

Me: I’m here to see Ever So Android.

Photographer gives me a side eye look like I’m crazy. [On Instagram, I stated that this was the night to head out to see Draemings, because Ever So Android was on the bill. So I was there to see both. I just failed to mention this fact.]

Ever So Android played their set.

Photographer: What did you say their name was?

Me: Ever So Android.

Photographer: They’re so good! [One more convert.]

Ever So Android
Brass Box came on stage next. The lead singer used to play with Black Flamingo. There is a connection here as the lead singer from Draemings also played in Black Flamingo. It was like a family reunion. Actually, it is always nice to see this happen as that let's you know that the breakup of a band didn't cause a breakup in friendships. Brass Box has an ethereal sound that has a touch of influence from Black Flamingo.

Brassbox
Draemings did their third residency set. The Echo was packed for the weirdness. Lead singer Kimi, dare I guess wrong, was dressed like a flaming Phoenix bird. Another member of the band was dressed up like a manic toy soldier. With their theatrical fashion and wonderful stage decoration, it was a set to remember. Well, let's not forget that college radio '80s/90s alternative rock sound. Oh yeah.

Draemings

No comments: