Sunday, August 2, 2015

Spectacular Spectacular, Katie Burden and Anahita Skye at Hotel Cafe

After a long absence, I headed off to Hotel Cafe. The one significant reason for my heading out was to catch Spectacular Spectacular. A friend is one of the back-up musicians for this trio.

I showed up a little early and got to catch Anahita Skye and Katie Burden. Anahita Skye music is joyful and preppy. You can't help but feel cheerful throughout the set. Katie Burden's style differs. The music is sung as if every word might lead one over the cliff. It makes one cling to every moment. I did not know this in advance, but Norm Block is part of her band -- I've followed him in other bands such as The Child.

The final band of the night was Spectacular Spectacular. I didn't know exactly what to expect. They had a couple sounds up on Soundcloud so I took a listen. The first song was Saturday Night. It starts out like a typical Hotel Cafe sound before suddenly exploding into a punk rock rage. Then it quickly transitions back to the typical Hotel Cafe sound. I was at a total loss. What is up with this band? Well, it all works very well during their live set.


Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments: