Sunday, August 16, 2015

Music for 18 Musicians and Filardo at Pehrspace

One of the 18
Looking at the Pehrspace calendar, I noticed that they were putting on something called Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich. I honestly had no clue who Steve Reich was so that didn't necessarily capture my attention. What really enticed me was the following: "How it works: each of the 18 musicians will have a set of headphones connected to the same sound source as each other. The sound source . . . will be playing Steve Reich's original ECM recording of Music for 18 Musicians; The audience will not hear this music, only the performers will. The performers will then, on their instruments, attempt to figure out and play any part of the music they are hearing in their headphones."

For some reason, this reminded me of my brief time in San Francisco and the couple of times I hung out at The Lab. So off I went. Now I'm assuming that a.) the musicians took the time to listen to Music for 18 Musicians ahead of time and b.) even though they were all wearing headphones they could still hear what their fellow musicians were doing.

Filardo
As the musicians starts playing Music for 18 Musicians, I couldn't help but think that the music was very repetitive and minimalist. The same measures seemed to be played over and over again. And yet, as the musicians proceeded through this nearly 1 hour composition, I found it calming. This was a well worth adventure to take.

Playing before the Steve Reich composition was Filardo. In many ways, they were the perfect band to play right beforehand. Their music has that minimalist sound.

Comment of the set: Filardo's drummer was sitting on a regular chair versus a drummers' chair. He was therefore much close to the floor than his standing band mates. "I feel like the kid brother here," he said.


No comments: