Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Controversy/Charlie Bird/Green Gerry at The Satellite

This was The Controversy's album release party.  I've seen Laura Vall a couple of times, but I believe this is the first time I saw her band The Controversy.  Before The Controversy hit the stage, Charlie Bird did a short set.  Dressed in white, she performed a short 20 minute set.  The audience was highly appreciative towards the simplicity of her set:  her vocals, an iPhone and a keyboard.  I see something hidden with the simplicity of her song "Step On Your Throat and Die."  I see similarities to Queen Kwong there.  After she finished a set, a friend rushed up with a bouquet of roses.  With a shy look, she waved them off.  The flowers came of use when the next band, Green Gerry, hit the stage.  The lead singer during one song grabbed the bouquet and tossed a few out into the audience before destroying the rest in a frenzy of energy.  The remaining set a played on a bed of rose petals.  Their sound is roughed-up psychedelic.  To end the night for me, The Controversy hit the stage.  Laura Vall has gone from singer-songwriter to goddess of the impressionist dance.  There is this great melding of eurodance music with the American singer-songwriter genre.  I wish I had dance moves like her.    

Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments: