Sunday, March 29, 2015

Duke Basketball vs Gonzaga: 66 - 52

When this game started out one had to think that both teams would score in the 80s.  Duke especially came out shooting lights out.  Then the teams slowed it down.  Though Duke did fall behind briefly at the start of the 2nd half, for the most part Duke held a solid lead throughout the game.  I think it became obvious that Duke was going to win this game when they were able to hold Gonzaga's big men in check, Przemek Karnowski and Domantas Sabonis.  For one, Karnowski wasn't doing very many fancy passes like those highlight ones against UCLA.

What I noticed:

Unlike the Utah game, Duke went back to shooting three pointers.  They made 8 of 19.

Matt Jones stepped it up big time, tying Justise Winslow for a team high of 16 points.  He also had a key steal towards the end of the game.  Personally, I think Matt Jones has the weirdest jump shot.

Even though Marshall Plumlee played only 8 minutes and his stat sheet shows only 1 rebound, I felt it was a very solid 8 minutes.  I swear it didn't seem like there was much of a let down when he was on the court.

Defense.  Other than a few breakdowns to start both halves, Duke played some really solid defense.

I've noticed in a few of the games that towards the end of the games, the television cameras focus in on a kid who is crying because they know their team isn't going to win.  I think this is meant to represent the sorrows of a team's fan base.  Can I throw out a random thought:  I think it also represents the passion that young people have and something that many of us older folks lose as time goes by.  I might have a few tears if Duke wins, but I definitely won't be crying if Duke loses in either the Final Four or the Championship Game.

.

 

No comments: