Monday, August 18, 2014

A Movie Review: Ender's Game

Ender's Game.  I read this book years ago and recall not being all that into the book.  Of course, considering what a classic the book series has become, perhaps I should re-read it.

Earth was invaded by Formics and somehow we fought back and won.  To prepare for a potential future invasion, young recruits come to the International Military to train.  Since any future battle will be fought in a video game like environment, these young individuals are perfect as they have the skills to fight in a multi-dimensional type of space battle.  Ender Wiggins (Asa Butterfield) soon shows himself to be the best ever.

I will say that I enjoyed this movie.  The beginning to the middle of the movie is filled with interactions and game sequences between various teams of the International Military training camp.  Those scenes could have been a bore, but I found them interesting as they were leading up to a specific result.  In the back of my mind, I kind of knew how the movie was going to end (not perfectly as I had read the book awhile back) but still enjoyed it.

Problems with the movie:

1.  I wasn't into Asa Butterfield as Ender Wiggins.  I loved him in Hugo.  Not so much in this movie.

2.  I could have sworn that there was a brief scene that showed the Formics advancing through space towards earth.  Well, the final battle happens elsewhere, which left me wondering if I had mis-interpreted that scene or if that scene just didn't make any sense.


No comments: