Friday, February 7, 2014

San Francisco Dispatch #15 (The Final One): Amnesia - Transfer, Nova Albion

This dispatch series was meant for intraffik, but I'm posting it here.

I picked a Tuesday night for my last call in the San Francisco music scene.  Location:  Amnesia.  This was my second visit to this venue.  This is the location that I feel has a misleading venue name as my imagination conjured up something far different than the Old Western themed bar that it is.  This is San Francisco’s version of Harvard & Stone.

This was a solid night to pick for my last outing into the San Francisco music scene.  First up, was a San Diego band called Transfer.  I noticed that they played with a band that someone told me I should check out, Flaggs.  They are a four member rock and roll band.  If I heard correctly, they are friends with what was the evening’s residency band, Nova Albion.  As I was watching the two guitarists and bassist play, I couldn’t help but come up with nicknames for them.  Constant motion.  Intensity man.  The cool one.

I was amused when I first saw them get on the stage.  The lead singer started off by stomping his foot on the stage.  I’m sure he was wondering if it would hold his weight as it bounced upon each stomp.  As for the bassist, at times he played the bass guitar like it was a standup bass.  I suspect that Transfer hasn’t played on such a small stage in a long time.  They looked cramped and at times it appeared that they were about to collide into each other.



Nova Albion was the residency band for the month of September.  Their sound was a mix of 80s pop rock and fusion jazz.  I always second guess myself on those types of assessments, but when the second to last song was a Tears for Fears cover song, I decided that I was at least partially right in regards to the 80s influence.  They represented the final band I saw during this adventure in San Francisco.  I’m happy it was them.  It was good to say good-bye to the San Francisco music scene listening to a top-notch San Francisco based band.

Comment of the set:  I’m being blessed with beer.



Random notes about San Francisco, the San Francisco music scene and whatever I want to say:

In my first dispatch, I made a couple observations that were not totally true.  I complained about the late start of the SF music scene.  I learned this was not a true statement across all the venues.  There is a randomness to start times across different venues.  Some start at 8:30 p.m.  Others at 9 p.m. and some after 10 p.m.  I mentioned that BART stopped service too early.  BART goes later than I initially thought though I hated the fact that late night construction caused 20 minute delays that prevented me from getting back to my bed when I wanted.

My first encounter with Square occurred at the Rickshaw Stop.  I quickly learned that Square is used extensively in the San Francisco area.  Maybe as I re-adjust back to Los Angeles, I’ll learn it is used extensively here, as well.

I mentioned two awesome vegetarian restaurants in my posts:  Herbivore and The Golden Era Vegan Restaurant.  I’d like to add a third:  Souley Vegan.

Best Pizza:  Delfina Pizzeria.  I had it cold and it still rocked.

Worst restaurant:  I came across a handful of restaurants I wasn’t thrilled with, but I’m going to single out Toast.  Why would you serve me cold hot chocolate?

The two coolest musicians I came across:  Mish Way who was playing with Louise Burns and is also the lead singer for White Lung; and Sarah Parson, the lead singer for The Lower 48.

Best bands seen in San Francisco that aren’t from Los Angeles.  First, Tesla Boy.  Second, The Lower 48.

Los Angeles bands I wish I had seen while they were on tour in San Francisco (some played on the weekends when I was back in Los Angeles):  Best Coast.  IO Echo.  Jail Weddings.  Local Natives.  Milo Greene.

The band I didn’t see, but I am intrigued to see is Mish Way’s White Lung.  I’m going to repeat myself:  she is so cool.

The furthest venue I walked to from the BART:  F8.

The most difficult venue to locate:  The Luggage Store.

Coolest non-music moment in San Francisco:  Going to Daly City to see where I spent my first years of life.

My top 3 ranking for best SF music venues (within walking distance of a BART stop):  1. Rickshaw Stop.  2. CafĂ© Du Nord.  3. Brick and Mortar.  Is Bottom of the Hill a top ranked venue?  I’m guessing it is, but it was too far of a walk from the BART.

What I learned via reading online articles:  Never ever bad mouth San Francisco.  The knives come out.  But let me say this, there seems to be an over-obsession with money.

Southwest.  I think techies are the worst passengers when it comes to following the simple request to turn off all electronic devices.  Flight attendants either needed to ask numerous times or didn’t know to ask because the passengers purposely hide the fact that their devices were still on.  I don’t believe this is an unsubstantiated accusation as I’ve written extensively here on Intraffik about my trips over-seas and so have experience with other types of passengers.

Southwest comment #1:  Please raise your hand if the person next to you has their cell phone on.

Southwest comment #2: If you don’t like the service, there are six exits.

Coolest Southwest moment:  seeing the pilots welcome a young girl into the cockpit.

No comments: