Thursday, February 6, 2014

San Francisco Dispatch #14: The Knockout - The Electric Noodle, Son Fish

This dispatch series was meant for Intraffik, but I'm posting it here.

Sick.  How can one have a severe cold and cough for over a month?  That’s me, of course.  I blame it on the San Francisco weather.  Or maybe my health is in general decline.  Or maybe it was because I kept up my exercise routine as well as went out to catch the San Francisco music scene that prevented my body from over-coming my illness.  Whatever the reason, I was coughing so hard over such a long period of time that I cracked a rib, I’m sure of it.

The Knockout.  So this was my second time heading out to The Knockout.  My first time at The Knockout, I listened to what was described as post-punk music.  This specific night can be described as world music themed.

Before heading out to The Knockout, I had sushi at a place called We Be Sushi.  And just to make sure my vegetarian credentials are upheld, I had the vegetarian options.  I overheard two women discussing relationships.  The comment of their conversation:  There aren’t any good role models for couples.

It was then off to The Knockout.  The first band was called The Electric Noodle.  My very first thought, East Asian inspired music.  The woman at the microphone, really went all in with the East Asian influenced hand and arm movements.  I’m betting her home has a few Hindu images.  One divergence was that instead of a sitar, there was a guitar.  The guitarist wasn’t as into the East Asian style.  I half suspect that he is part of a heavy metal band, as well.



Son Fish hit the stage next.  The East Asian inspired music was set to the side.  The synth-style music that appears to be common place in San Francisco from the art scene of The Lab to various rock venues took center stage here.  The sounds of whales communicating with each other inspired a song or two.



Noticed One:  For Electric Noodle, a young woman danced away during much of the set and she too was obviously inspired by East Asian themes.

Noticed Two:  the two bands/songwriters were so into their music that both sets ran over and the sound guy had to come over to let them know they needed to end their sets.

As for The Knockout, my initial opinion still stands, which was that this is dead ringer for the Silverlake Lounge.

Haight-Ashbury.  It was finally time to explore an area of San Francisco that wasn’t within a half mile or so of the BART.  I know I should have done this far earlier, but better late than never.  It was off to Haight-Ashbury where in a 30 minute time frame I was asked three times if I needed some buds.  I had a couple slices of Escape from New York pizza.  It is okay pizza, but nothing to die for in my opinion.  Amoeba Records was closed by the time I walked pass – seemed rather early considering the LA store is still buzzing at 8:30 p.m.  I saw a small music venue called the Milk Bar, it is a venue that I’ve seen mentioned in the SF Weekly music calendar.  I didn’t duck my head in to listen to any bands.  Unfortunately, this venue will need to go unexplored due to the distance from a BART station.  I also walked pass the numerous Victorian homes that line the streets.  How much are these homes worth?  Well over a million, I am sure.  I started to imagine how it would be to live in this neighborhood.  I then began to imagine how much a monthly mortgage payment would be and a tad bit of jealousy hit.

Southwest:

Comment 1:  Separation anxiety begins now.

Comment 2:  If this flight turns into a cruise, life vests can be found underneath your seats.

No comments: