Sunday, February 23, 2014

Duke Basketball vs. Syracuse: 66-60

Jim Boeheim got booted from the game with only a few seconds left on the clock.  He really got heated after a charge was called.  I noticed he was getting animated about some of the foul calls during the game and that call was obviously the last straw.  On the other hand, I think he should have recalled the first meeting where Duke was called for 25 fouls while Syracuse got 15.  This game was only 20 versus 15.  Now I don't recall every Duke foul of the first meeting and I'm sure that some of those fouls were during the last few minutes of regulation and over-time as Duke was trying to make a comeback, but it isn't like this game's foul differential was unreasonable.

So what was to like about this game:

I mentioned that during the Carolina game, I just felt like Carolina had the upper hand even though Duke was up during most of the game.  For this game, I really wasn't worried when Syracuse took an early lead -- well maybe I was just a bit.

Plumlee.  He's scoring.  He's aggressive.  He's getting those blocks.  Wow.

Okay, Hood's shooting was rather bad when looking at the stats, but it really felt like he was super aggressive during the game.

The defense looked solid -- though there was that serious breakdown during the second half, but that is forgivable.

What's not to like:

Okay, Parker led the scoring, but what's up with those turn-overs.  Was there a hand injury?  He just looked sloppy in traffic.

Dawkins didn't get going.

Free throws.

No comments: