Thursday, January 2, 2014

Top "New" Bands/Singer Songwriters I came across in 2013

In the past, I attempted to see a band twice before I put them on my annual list of my best discovered bands.  That unfortunately isn't the case this year.  I guess as I get older, I don't go out as much, which limits how many times I can see bands. Also, I spent time in San Francisco this year, which limited my interaction with the Los Angeles music scene.

 Anyways, here's my list. As always, may of these bands aren't new (if not all), but they were new to me.

 1. Bombay Show Pig. I saw this band at Culture Collide. They convinced me rather quickly that I needed to see them again. And since I don't fly off to The Netherlands on a monthly basis, I caught them the very next night at Harvard & Stone.

2. The Great Wilderness.  This was another band I saw at Culture Collide.  They're from Costa Rica and they'll rock you for 30 minutes.

3. The Lower 48.  I caught this band in San Francisco.  They're from Portland.  Are there any bad bands in Portland?  I always say this, because I haven't seen a single band from Portland that I didn't like.

4. Tropical Popsicle.  A recent catch at The Bootleg.  I've seen this band's name around, but I finally saw them in December.  Loved them.

5. PAPA.  They did a residency at The Bootleg.  They conquered.

6. Kita Klane.  Another Culture Collide catch.  Luckily, she's from Los Angeles and I'll get to see her again -- likely at Hotel Cafe.

7. South of France.  The final Culture Collide find that I'll list here -- yep, Culture Collide provided a treasure trove of awesome music.  Their music just carries you.

8. Crushed Out.  A two piece band with a drummer that is just too fascinating to watch.

9. Emily Kinney.  Hey, a Walking Dead star who sings beautifully.  I hope she doesn't die too soon on The Walking Dead.  Of course, if she does, maybe she'll do more shows in Los Angeles.  She's playing Hotel Cafe in a couple weeks from now.

10. Kan Wakan.  They have one song that will have you crying for joy, because that is the reason why humanity created music.

No comments: