Friday, January 31, 2014

San Francisco Dispatch #9: Brick and Mortar - Spells, Louise Burns, Lightning Dust

A free night equaled my first repeat visit to a SF venue.  It was off to Brick and Mortar to catch a trio of bands.

Confession:  I’m not very observant at times.  In an earlier dispatch, I mentioned that Brick and Mortar had a piano on stage that was being used as a makeshift table for a drum set.  I took a closer look this time and it is in fact a table.  Oops.  I guess in my homesickness for Los Angeles I saw too much of The Bootleg in the Brick and Mortar.

The SF Weekly mentioned that the first band started at 8 p.m. so off I headed to Brick and Mortar without eating any dinner.  It was off from work, change cloths and jump onto the BART.  And, of course, the night started off at 9 p.m.

One woman entertained herself during that hour by dancing wildly while her husband/significant other watch from his seat.  Two young women walked into the venue like they’d just finished a beauty pageant.  One even had a tiara.

The first band of the night was Spells, a local band.  Spells didn’t disappoint with their Hotel Café style sound.  Whenever (I’m guessing a friend) a guy with a smart phone was taking video of the lead singer, she’d blush all so briefly.

Comment of the set:  This song is about a cat that met an unfortunate fate.          

Comment of the set 2:  Bass.  How does it look on me?



The next two bands were from Vancouver, Canada.  Oh yeah, it reminded me of my first travel post on Intraffik.  Louise Burns took the stage first with her country influenced sound.  The crowd loved her.  After the set, a crowd formed to buy her stuff.  And she sounded legit Canadian to me once she shouted out, “Eh.”  She had one cool bassist who refused to smile except during their last song when she must have found something amusing; and when she took over the keys, she played with her right hand while she sipped her drink using her left, the definition of cool.



Comment of the set:  This song is about sensitive young men who write poetry on typewriters.

Lightning Dust  was the final band of the night.  A female lead singer, who at times sung in a staccato quick fire method, surrounded by three synth musicians.  It was, of course, electronic heaven for 30 plus minutes. For one song one of the synth musicians turned up the Peruvian flute music.  Someone in the audience called the musician out for that one.  Maybe even in San Francisco, Peruvian flute music equals Universal CityWalk.

Interesting notice of the set:  their set list was written down on cardboard.

In an earlier dispatch, I wrote how I was attempting to see if I could recognize any fellow San Francisco music fans at various venues.  On this night, I’d say I definitely recognized four folks.  Yeah, I know that is meaningless, but it make me feel part of the San Francisco music scene even if it is for an all so brief moment of my life.

As soon as Lightning Dust’s set ended, I rushed out to get to BART.  I really have no clue why I did that.  By now I should know that there is construction going on at night and that I’ll be stuck waiting for a train for close to 30 minutes.  I guess there is always that faint hope that I’ll just catch a train that was supposed to arrive 30 minute earlier or that construction has finished on the BART.



Random note:  all three lead singers wore black.

Southwest.  Call me a rule follower, but what irritates me most about fellow Southwest fliers is the refusal by a few to not turn off their electronic devices.  Some people need to be asked three time to turn off their devices.  Others simply hide the fact that their iPhones are on.  They’ll hold the screen against their body so that the reflection isn’t seen.  Come on, you can’t be disconnected from your music or texting?

No comments: