Friday, January 24, 2014

San Francisco Dispatch #3: Brick & Mortar - Mahgeetah, My Goodness, Fool's Gold

This Dispatch Series was meant for Intraffik, but I'm posting the series here.

I am slowly edging my way into the San Francisco music scene.  I’m doing so kicking and screaming in a way as I find myself scanning for band names that sound familiar.  My main source of information at the moment is the San Francisco Weekly calendar and on one particular scan I noticed that there was a FREE show at Brick & Mortar.  Free!  That felt like a Monday night in Los Angeles even though it was on a Tuesday night.  Also, Los Angeles based band Fool’s Gold was headlining.  I’d never seen Fool’s Gold so it was all the more reason to head on out.

I jumped onto the BART.  I was aiming to get to Brick & Mortar at 9 p.m.  I arrived at around 9:10 p.m.  There was a short line out the door.   I was hoping that this didn’t mean that the venue was already at capacity.  Luckily, it wasn’t though when I was next up at the door I was told to wait as they planned on letting folks into the venue in waves.  Two young and beautiful women decided that they didn’t want to wait in line so they cut the line and walked inside.  They were promptly told to get back out.  And they promptly decided to leave all together.

I got inside as the first band was into their first song (Mahgeetah ).  Now was this an actual San Francisco-based band? I wasn’t sure and would have to look it up after the show (they are).  They are a four piece band.  I maneuvered my way towards the stage via the side. When I got to the stage area, I noticed that everyone was standing five yards back from the stage.  I wanted to go to the front of the stage to take some photos (unfortunately, the photos were taken with my point and shoot and not with my DSLR; my hotel room that I’m staying at does not have a safe and I feel uncomfortable leaving my DSLR and lenses out in the open when the maids come in to clean).  I was a little hesitant.  Why were all these SFers standing so far from the stage? Eventually, a couple rowdy guys broke the shyness of the crowd and brought the crowd closer to the stage.



The second band was a two-piece band from Seattle, My Goodness.  The drummer started the set with a row of 4 cups of water lining the front of the stage.  He needed them as this band had some serious energy flowing throughout their set.  After the set, folks headed up towards the stage, congratulating them on their set.


The final band of the night was Fool's Gold .  The sounds of lingering tunes set to the evening waves along a Hawaiian beach spun through their set.  I noticed that they were treated well by the staff.  Towels were brought for each member of the band – needed by the end of the first song – along with a glass of vodka (or similar type drink).


As for Brick & Mortar:  it reminds me of The Bootleg.  Brick & Mortar is a venue that seems to be located in a forgotten part of San Francisco’s night life.  The venue also has a high ceiling and a piano on stage (which on this night was used as a storage spot for a drum set).

Let’s take a moment to discuss Southwest

The most hilarious comments from a Southwest flight attendant:      

Comment 1:  Federal law prohibits tampering with the lavatories’ fire alarm and web cam.  She didn’t just say that?  No, there is not a web cam in the lavatories.

Comment 2:  There are 135 of you and 3 of us.  We’re out of ‘What do you have’ and ‘I don’t know’ drinks.

No comments: