Monday, April 8, 2013

Santa Anita Park: Thursday, April 4

So I finally bought a Racing Daily Form.  That form holds reams of data.  For awhile, I just looked at it, not understanding a single detail.  Eventually, I started to pick up on perhaps half of what was provided.

Did it help me make any bets?  No.  I still lost money.  Actually, I could have ended up near flat for the day, but decided just to make some bets in the 8th race.

Interesting fact:  I went to the betting seminar that is held before the races start.  A Pick 6 (a bet I don't make) was provided.  The betting expert nearly got it.  He missed on the 7th race when the heavy favorite (Horizon Sky) came in third, which was apparently a shocker for nearly all the horse racing experts.  In fact, the Racing Daily Form headline was:  Horizon Sky looks like a pick-six single.

I basically went with Exactas and Daily Doubles for the day along with some very conservative Show bets.  I missed my exacta on the first race when the final outcome of my bet was a win/show outcome versus the necessary win/place requirement.  For the second race, the outcome was flipped, which made me wonder why I hadn't boxed the bet.  The third race was my winner for the day.  I got both a Daily Double (including the fourth race) and an exacta.  It went downhill from there.  I played the daily doubles for a handful of additional races and then came the 7th race where Horizon Sky was supposed to win.  I did a couple exactas on that race and since Horizon Sky came in show, not even a box would have helped the situation.

 


No comments: