Friday, April 12, 2013

Santa Anita Park, 4 April 2013

So I finally won some money at Santa Anita Park.  I suppose it helped that the favorites came in.

In the first and second race, I won a daily double.  I would have won an exacta, but I forgot my rule about skipping the trifectas.  For the second race, I picked a winner.

Things went downhill in the 3rd and 4th race.  My box exacta didn't have a chance as a longshot won the 3rd race.  For the 4th race I had trouble when another longshot won.

Things perked up in the 5th thru 7th race when I followed Bejarano's coattails as he won 3 in a row.  I picked up an exacta in the 5th and a daily double in the 6th/7th.  Also, in the 7th, I went with a longshot for show, Thermal Nermal with Talamo.  I figured why not go with a longshot when a top jockey is riding.

For the 8th race, I came away with nothing, but then I only went with one bet.

It felt good walking away with a little money after having spent the last few trips to Santa Anita Park a little lighter in the pocket.

I once again got the Racing Daily Form.  Did it help me pick horses or was I just lucky?  There is a lot of stats in that Form.  For a guy like me, it is fun just staring at all the stats.  For a couple races, it actually made it very difficult to make a decision.  You have a situation sometimes where it seems that all the horses in a race have raced the exact same distance at the exact same time.  So confusing.  And considering I like making a Daily Double bet, I seriously couldn't even place a Daily Double bet a couple times, because I just couldn't make a quick enough decision about the 2nd half the bet.  I suppose that might be why I should show up even earlier at the track . . .

No comments: