Monday, January 28, 2013

Santa Anita: 21 January 2012

So close.  That's my opinion of the day.

Just to say up front, I'm not a heavy better.  Per race, I make multiple bets that total $5 so I am not one of those folks putting down $20 a race.

First, I nearly broke even.  I ended up down $4.

Second, in the first race, I almost hit the trifecta.  I bet 1-3-2.  The final results were 1-2-3.  Ouch.

Third, in the eighth race, I almost hit an exacta.  I bet 6-3.  The final results were 3-6.  Double Ouch.

I might have walked off with over $50.

I went to a quick betting seminar before the start of the race.  The topic was the Pick 6, which I didn't participate in, but did take note of the suggestions.  Okay, picking on a guy for making a bad suggestion is just wrong, considering that I'm not guru.  But here's an amusing note.  For the 7th race, the obvious choice was considered to be Beholder.  I believe that the odds were around 1-5 by the time the race started.  The argument was made that it was possible that Beholder was past her prime so for the Pick 6, the suggest was to go with either Dawn's Charm or Lady Rosamond.  Guess who won:  Renee's Titan -- none of the three.  And what happened to the jockey once Renee's Titan won:  the horse bucked the jockey off the saddle.  



No comments: