Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Oscar Picks: select only

I'm not a movie critic so I haven't seen every single picture that has a nomination in the various categories, but here are some of my hopes for a handful of awards.

Best Picture: Hugo

Though I’m finding myself leaning towards either The Help or Midnight in Paris at times.

Best Director: Martin Scorsese (Hugo)

Should Best Picture and Best Director differ? There is a scene in Midnight in Paris where the shop girl has this look that tells you the future and so I kind of want Woody Allen to win.

Best Actor: Gary Oldman (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy)

He doesn’t look like he’s anticipated to win, but I loved his role in the movie. It should be noted that I did not see Demian Bichir in his role.

Best Actress: Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

Love love love her. I did not see Glenn Close or Meryl Streep in their roles.

Best Supporting Actor: Max Von Sydow (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close)

I didn’t really think much of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, but I thought it was fine acting. I did not see Nick Nolte or Christopher Plummer in their roles.

Best Supporting Actress: Tossup between Jessica Chastain and Octavia Spencer

I simply can’t decide. Can there be a tie? I did not see Janet McTeer in Albert Nobbs.

Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation

This is the only foreign language film I saw. I loved it. I thought it should have gotten an Oscar nod for best picture.

No comments: