Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Milo Greene, Cold War Kids, Haim and Hands at The Satellite

This was the second straight Monday night that I was heading to The Satellite. That was out of the ordinary for me as I normally like to cycle through the various Monday night residencies in the Silver Lake/Echo Park area. So why a return trip to The Satellite?  Read on . . .

First up for the night was Haim. I caught this band once before and was looking forward to seeing them again. Sometimes (similar to my comment regarding Nightmare and the Cat) you just wonder why it takes you so long to see a band you like again. Was there too much TMI on stage? It was revealed that "little Haim" doesn't have a boyfriend -- a little rubbing in by the other two Haims? Fun moment of the set: during the last song the slamming on the drums by one of the Haims got so intense that the drum set toppled over. So she played it as it laid sideways on the ground.

Next up was the special guest that was listed on various sites. Who was the special guest? I had no clue, but apparently others already knew. One friend told me that last Monday there was buzz that Cold War Kids was going to play. I don't know how many people knew this fact. I will say that when I arrived around 8 p.m. the place was nearing capacity. They put on a marvelous set, working in a new guitarist (this is what I was told). Though I've heard of Cold War Kids, this was the first time I've seen them on stage . . . a nice treat. Fun moments of the set: a lot of kicking going on between the lead singer and the bassist, the bassist kicking the singer.  After their set, I did hear one person in the crowd ask another, "Who was that band?"  I actually think that was what Cold War Kids wanted, to come in and play to a crowd that wasn't necessarily aware of who they were.

Hands came in after Cold War Kids. They got folks in a dancing mood. It was an interesting transition as Hands has a synth-driven sound while Cold War Kids is good old guitar driven. Does that bassist ever stop moving? My lens just couldn't focus in on the guy.

So I got to see Cold War Kids for the first time, which was a nice reason to head over to The Satellite on back-to-back Mondays; but The Satellite also had Milo Greene as the residency band, representing another good reason to go.  This time I wasn't of any use to Milo Greene (last Monday I was of some use, reconnecting a drum stick with its owner).  I just got to sit back and listen to some marvelous harmonies.  Marlana Sheetz had her fans that night.  A group of fans requested a photo opportunity with her as she was setting up her gear.  She obliged.  They were thrilled.

Haim



Cold War Kids



Hands



Milo Greene

No comments: