Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Movie Review: The Girl Who Played With Fire (original)

The Girl Who Played With Fire. As mentioned, I watched the European version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo after watching the US version. I obviously couldn’t stop there. I went on to the second movie. Here, Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Repace) is off enjoying life outside of Sweden. Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) is back working as a journalist. His magazine is digging into the sex slave trade going on in Sweden. Lisbeth returns to Sweden and is soon caught up in this via unknown direct connections with the article. She is soon framed for three murders.

Now since I had no US movie version to compare to, I found myself really involved in the storyline. As mentioned in my review of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, many of the scenes that I feel allows us to empathize with Salander in the US version are pushed into this movie so she is a much more sympathetic character in this sequel.

Would I say this is a great movie? No. Will it keep you highly involved? Yes. It is well worth the time. Though I will say: that movie soundtrack is really annoying.

No comments: