Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Movie Review: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Oskar Schell (Thomas Horn) is on a mission. His father Thomas Schell (Tom Hanks) died in one of the Twin Towers on September 11 (the worst day). After a year passes, Oskar decides to look around his father’s closet. He finds a blue vase and accidentally breaks it. Inside the vase was a key. Oskar is convinced it opens up something important and so he goes on a search to find what it opens.

This movie just didn’t do much for me. I’m not saying it is horrible. I just couldn’t connect. I understand the kid is under an emotional strain that I can’t begin to understand, but I just found him to be a jerk. And with that opinion of the kid, I didn’t much care all that much for his mission. Also, due to obvious time limitations on a movie, a lot of his encounters are extremely brief and feel superficial.

One potential problem with the film: I swear after his first visit that later in the day he had a photo of the individual in his hands. Maybe he took his film to get developed after taking only one shot (it isn’t a digital camera so he had to use film), but considering the number of people he went to see that would be one expensive hobby to take only partially used film to get developed. Anyways, I just thought it was a flaw in the movie.

No comments: