Wednesday, April 8, 2009

New London at The Scene

Sometimes disappointment leads to discovering something new. This happened on a Sunday night at The Scene in Glendale. I headed over there to see The Randies. Unfortunately, someone in the band was sick and they weren’t able to make it. I was thinking about taking off, but I have this belief when heading out to listen to music that I should always stick around to catch at least two bands. The second band that night was going to be The Randies. Well, since they were a scratch, the next band up was New London. I believe they're a relatively new band. Their myspace page shows them being members as of July 2008. Also leading to this belief was the fact that throughout their set, the lead singer kept on mentioning that the current song was a new song. And -- he even mentioned towards the end of the set that they would introduce another new song at an upcoming gig.

I found their tunes rather catchy. The keyboard background music works wonders for the music. The lead singer has this amusing way of dancing/running in place. They’re a work in progress so I’m not going to be singing high praises for them yet. On the other hand, I’d argue that this is a band to keep an eye on. In some ways, their music reminded me of a diamond in the rough version of another local band, Local Natives.

No comments: