Monday, April 6, 2009

Getting to see some short Christian-themed movies

Over the weekend, I got to see a trio of short movies. The first was The Perfect Day, directed by M. Seiler and written by R. Sigamoney. This is a movie that was done over a 48 hour period -- a little extra work done afterwards on sound and graphics. By 48 hours, I mean writing, filming and editing. I was asked to help out (background work), but I'm a working stiff and doing anything straight through for even 15 hours (randomly selected number) over the weekend is too much of a drain on my energy to start off a new work week. But I was more than happy to see the finished product. Quick summary, the storyline is about a guy trying to live a perfect life for 24 hours. For something done in 48 hours, I was very impressed by it. The film is produced by a new Christian production company called Cinema Divina. If you click on the link, you can see the short film.


Next up was a short animation piece. It was done by a guy named R. George -- an individual I don't know. It was a visually stunning short. Quick summary, comets streaking to earth, turning into an ice leopard as an eclipse forms across the sky. The leopard jumps into an active volcano and turns into a fiery leopard. As the eclipse ends, the leopard turns into stone.


The final movie was called Marbles with Thoreau, written/directed by M. George. It is a 15 minute short film that took a couple (give or take) years to make. I know a number of the people who worked on this film. The cinematography is just awesome. The imagery is fascinating. I have to apologize for not catching all the ins and outs of the movie -- there were some sound issues in the non-theatre environment or maybe it is just my declining hearing due to seeing too many live bands. Quick summary, this movie is about a couple kids who live in a dump next to the railroad tracks (8 Mile awful). They meet up with a gentleman who teaches them that sometimes there is more to life. (Note: This movie is based/inspired by a Thoreau book. Hey, I have a Thoreau book on my shelf. It wasn't assigned to me via a high school or university course. I read about half of it. If anyone ever notices it on my book shelf, it makes me look more intellectual than I really am.)


Extra note: There is also a movie out there called Jesus People, which is a Christian Contemporary Music comedy. It wasn't screened with the other movies, but it is a movie that people should try and catch. It is a long format movie.


Added comments: Over the course of the last few years, I've gotten to know a number of local bands on a personal level. Over the last year, I've gotten to know a number of local actors, writers, directors, etc. It makes for a fascinating life, becoming friends with those who have distinctly different careers than your own.

No comments: