Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Mulhollands @ Cinespace

I headed to Cinespace on Sunday night to catch one of my favorite bands, The Mulhollands. Sarah told me on Saturday night (while at Club Dynamite) that it was free entrance as long as I got there before 10:30 p.m. I didn’t want to cut it close, because I wasn't sure what to expect as I'd never been to Cinespace before so I arrived at 10 p.m. (I’ve walked by Cinespace at times and seen photographers perched around the entrance. No problems this night. It was clear sailing on Sunday night with no hassles.)

I didn’t fully explore Cinespace, but here’s the layout from my vantage point. You go up a stairwell to the second floor. You enter a bar area. On your right is a smaller, intimate lounge area. To the left is a small dance floor. If you keep walking through, you enter a larger area where bands play. This is the area I headed towards.

Once there, I ran into The Mulhollands. I hung out with them for a few until the first band came on stage. The first band was called Mere Mortals. They’re a four piece band. As I was listening, I couldn’t help but feel that they were the equivalent of The Beatles with a psychedelic flair. Since I’m not extremely knowledgeable in regards to The Beatles, I felt a bit strange thinking that. (I only own one Beatles album and I hardly ever listen to it, which just highlights my lack of knowledge regarding this band.) Later, though, when I arrived home I looked up the Mere Mortals myspace page and they do state that one of their influences are The Beatles. Slight relief that I wasn’t totally offbase while listening to them. I loved their sound and would love to check them out again. The lead singer in the band is rather cool, as well. Later in the night, I went looking for him and told him that I’d love to get a sticker or something from him that had his band's information. He went out of his way to find me a card or sticker. He couldn’t find one for me, so he just handed me a CD single saying it was cool and I didn’t have to pay for it.

The band area. I have to admit I found the band area a bit strange. There were couches that lined the area in front of the stage. I suppose this area is used for more than just featuring bands so I won’t say that this area is totally designed wrong. It just felt strange watching a band while sitting on a couch.

The Mulhollands were the next band up. Here are some notes about their set: I have to say I thought this was one of their best sets ever. Sarah’s vocals were sharp and filled with emotion. The style of the band was low keyed with a focus on Sarah’s vocals. There was a distinct old-style feel that surrounded the band, which started off with a classic big sized microphone and flowed on with a large flower atop Sarah’s head. It was all beautifully done. There were some fun moments. At one point, Sarah must have over-heard something from the sound booth so she asked, “We have just one more song?” The guy at the sound booth must not have heard the emphasis that made the statement a question because he asked, “You have just one more song? Okay.” Sarah replied, “Are we allowed more than one song?” The sound guy, “Sure. I thought you said you had only one more song.” Sarah replied, “I thought you said we were allowed only one more song.” An observation made via multiple Mulhollands gigs is that I wonder if Sarah has a preference for moving to her right. It just seems that she always moves to her right. During the ending of certain songs, I clapped away. It wasn't clapping to show some love, it was clapping to show appreciation for what I thought was a well done set.

No comments: