Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Audra Mae and Dusty Rhodes at Silverlake Lounge

I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it to Silverlake Lounge on this specific Monday night, April 20th. Monday was that hot 100 degree day. I went home after work and fell asleep briefly. When I woke up, I was dehydrated and burning up. I made a quick dinner (turning on the oven, which made it even hotter – I have no central air) and turned on the television. Then the blurry vision arrived and I got worried about a coming migraine.

I’d mentioned this night to a trio of friends so I sent texts them, explaining that I wasn’t likely to make it. It seemed that one didn’t have the slightly clue what I was talking about. A second wasn’t planning on going. A third recalled our conversation and reading between the lines, had wanted to go. I decided to have a little water and then sat on the couch, waiting for the migraine. It never arrived. Perhaps my blurry vision was related to dehydration and heat exhaustion. I sent a text to the friend who seemed interested in heading out, mentioning the fact that miracles do happen. We met up at Silverlake Lounge.

I arrived to catch about two songs from Yellow Red Sparks. They have a stand up bass. I love the stand up bass. Other than that, I’m not sure what to say. I ran into anther friend of mine who saw the whole set and she said she loved them.

Next up was Audra Mae with her five-piece band and two back-up singers. She had the vocals going Monday night. Every single song was just slammed out of the park. I had this awful regret while listening to her regarding the fact that I had sent out a no-go text message a couple hours earlier. I wish I’d instead sent a text message saying that no matter the fact that I might not make it due to a migraine that my friends should head out anyways, even if it meant being at Silverlake Lounge by themselves.

While listening to Dusty Rhodes and the River Band, I wished even harder I’d sent out a text message saying that this definitely wasn’t a night to miss. This was the second time I’ve seen the band. The last time, I saw only about half of their set and was way in the back of Silverlake Lounge. At the time, I could only see the head of the keyboardist. This time, I was a bit closer to the stage. First off, this band has three vocalists who take the lead depending on the song. Second, you have Dustin Apodaca who does vocals, and plays keyboard and even an accordion for one song. Third, you have Andrea Babinski who plays violin and does some back-up vocals, and I do believe there was a mandolin in there. Anyways, their last song was extremely powerful. Not powerful in an emotional way, but powerful in sound. The floor and walls just vibrated and I felt my skin vibrating, as well. Way back when, I saw Mother Tongue and one of their songs just sent shock waves up my spine. The last song by Dusty Rhodes had a similar effect on my body. It was just this moment of, “Wow.”

No comments: