Sunday, November 6, 2016

Blend LA at the Resident

I got invited to the Resident to see the launch of Blend LA, which is a collaboration between various music entities in Los Angeles. Featured were: Elle BelleIrisSkin and BonesSaint Cecilia and Cellars.

I came into the night not having seen any of these bands. Elle Belle is like 70s psychedelic rock. Comment of the afternoon had to come from Elle Belle who said, "A homeless guy gave me those lyrics." There were some amusing moments during Iris' set. During song breaks, echos popped around the Resident when the lead singer was trying to work out the monitor situation for her band mates. She'd say something through the microphone and a second later the speakers would repeat what she said. Everyone laughed.

Skin and Bones gave the audience some cool Americana. I couldn't help but notice how the guitarist used his heels to work the percussion set. As for Saint Cecilia, I learned that this was their first set. Maybe that's why I noticed at the end of one song, the lead singer looked super satisfied. And why not, they killed it. Cellars. What can I say? This is a band that I say will be opening for Grimes soon. Her music rocks. And I bet her stage presence is awesome. I say bet, because she did the set on a badly twisted (or broken) ankle.

Blend LA Oct 16

No comments: