Sunday, October 12, 2014

TV Series Review: The Strain

I got hooked on The Strain.  For a few weeks, I held off watching it, instead recording it on my DVR.  I figured I'd binge watch it.  Then about the middle of the season, I decided to watch the first episode.  I was hooked.  The idea of binge watching it all at once was over.

The Strain starts with a mystery.  An airplane lands in New York City.  Before reaching the terminal, it stops and no signs of life appear.  The CDC is called in, led by Dr. Ephraim Goodweather (Corey Stoll).  Though all the passengers appear dead, this is misleading.  First, a small handful are physically alive and were just knocked out temporarily.  Second, the remaining are in a vampire transforming hibernation.  Yep, The Strain isn't a disease, but an attempt by The Master (the top Vampire) to conquer the world.

What I really like about this show is the lead character, Dr. Ephraim Goodweather.  Let's be honest, you initially feel for him.  He has a deadly job and his wife is in the process of divorcing him.  Towards the end of the season, you get the idea that this guy really is a jerk.  And yet, he is our hero.  I love it.

I also love the interaction/sexual tension between two other characters:  Vasiliy Fet (Kevin Durand) and Dutch Velders (Ruta Gedmintas).

What took awhile to get used to:  initially, when I saw the massive tongue that the vampires have, I felt it was very cheesy.  I'm still not sold on it, but it doesn't bother me anymore (that is, it doesn't appear cheesy to me).

My one major complaint:  so Dutch shuts down the Internet and cell phone service though it appears television signals are working just fine.  Wouldn't at some point, considering how important New  York City is, wouldn't the Federal government go in to take a look at what in the world is going on in New York City -- especially when (hearing what is coming over the news) murders are increasing dramatically in the city.  And I'm not talking the FBI agents that arrested Dr. Goodweather, but perhaps folks that would actually report back to DC?

My one minor complaint:  was it ever definitively explained to us what happened to Fet's parents?

No comments: