Friday, October 10, 2014

Restaurant Review: Bantam (Santa Cruz, CA)

Bantam. This is a highly ranked pizza restaurant in Santa Cruz.  Like any normal American, I am a big fan of pizza so I was eager to try this place out.

It is located in an area of Santa Cruz that reminded me of the Art District in Los Angeles -- though much cleaner looking.

When I walked in, I felt like the waiters were a bit snobbish.  Then came the pizza.  I got the Golden Tomatoes, scallions and cacciocavallo pizza.  If you don't know what a cacciocavallo is (and I surely didn't know what it was), it is a type of cheese.  They make their pizza over an open flame.  I have to admit I felt like I was eating charcoal.  The pizza did not live up to my expectations.  On the other hand, the waiters I thought were a bit snobbish turned out to be very attentive once I mentioned my dissatisfaction with the pizza.  Two of them came up to me and said that they were sorry I was disappointed with my meal and that I should have mentioned it and they would have gotten another pizza made.

Updated -- FAVORABLE review:  I decided to take a chance and head over again.  I ordered a Tender Broccoli, trugole, green olives and ricotta salata.  This time, the pizza came out as perfect as one can expect when a pizza is baked over an open flame.  The brocooli, perfectly tender.  The green olives added that perfect off-set.  The cheese, yeah, I was making sure I got every bite of the trugole.  Not a piece of the crust tasted like charcoal -- though there were one or two bites where I felt like a little over-baking was done, but we are talking about an open flame.  Essentially, my lesson learned is that if you do end up with a pizza that tastes like charcoal, let the staff know.  Based on the response from my first visit, they're willing to re-do your pizza. 


No comments: