Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Movie Review: Pain & Gain

Pain & Gain.  Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) is a professional body trainer.  He has hopes of making it big in life, but a professional trainer doesn't make much in life.  He decides to rob a wealthy client of his:  Victor Kershaw (Tony Shalhoub).  He convinces two other body builders to join his cause:  Paul Doyle (Dwayne Johnson) and Adrian Dooral (Anthony Mackie).  He also gets his boss involved, John Mese (Rob Corddry) and his girlfriend/stripper, Sorina Luminita (Bar Paly).

This is a movie based on a real life story:  highly condensed and re-written from what I read.  From what I understand, there were more than just 5 individuals involved in this criminal action.  Of course, just like other movies that might condense characters (Zero Dark Thirty), I find this totally acceptable.

But what did I think about the movie?  A mess.  I hated how many of the characters had narrative moments.  I understand perhaps the attempt to make a unique action movie, but it just failed for me.

I will say there was good character development:  Daniel wanting success, Paul aspiring for a religious life (though still a cocaine addict who likes to steal money), and Adrian wanting a typical home life.  


No comments: