Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A Movie Review: The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby. Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) just moved to New York to work on Wall Street.  He lives next to an isolated millionaire, Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio).  Jay takes an interest in Nick when he learns that Nick's cousin is Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan).  It so happened that Jay and Daisy were once lovers.  The movie takes a look into the 0.01% of the 1920s.

I found this an enjoyable movie though I found Nick's wrath towards his cousin at the end of the movie wrong.  I understand his anger towards his friend (and Daisy's husband), Tom Buchanan (Joel Edgerton).  But to me Daisy felt she needed to honor her marriage versus following her heart, which I think is understandable.

Break out star:  Elizabeth Debicki (Jordan Baker) who was just wonderful in a detached sort of way.

No comments: