Monday, August 13, 2012

USA vs. Spain: 107-100

Seriously, I almost exclusively only watched USA basketball during the Olympics -- I did catch the last few minutes of US vs. Canada women's soccer and a bit of Dutch women's hand ball (while hitting fast forward to get to my DVR'd basketball, I'd hit play for a few moments).

I do believe that in a 7 game play-off series that Spain could take a game or two from the USA.  I'm sure that the Spanish bigs would rule a couple times in a series.

Coach K's jump for joy after Chris Paul's drive in the last couple minutes of the game has to be seen.  Hey, Chris Paul played for Wake Forest.

Okay, Lebron James is a better player than Kobe Bryant.

Kevin Durant; however, could some day overtake James.  That guy has a sweet stroke.

I remember reading that Kevin Love wasn't happy about his minutes during the exhibition games.  I thought he was a key glue during the Olympics.

Kobe Bryant seemed to have a quiet 17 points, but it was interesting how he turned it on during the last few games.  As the commentators mentioned, Kobe probably decided to take the first few games off.  Also, I though Kobe played an almost flawless game.  He did have one bad turnover where he jumped into the air and had to get rid of it, but that was the only serious error I saw him make.

Also, I felt like Kobe Bryant was given the Andre Dawkins role (current Duke player).  I think every Duke fan cheers for Andre Dawkins, but I think most of us realize that his time at Duke has been disappointing.  The reason I make this comparison is because I often saw Kobe out on the 3-point line sort of just sitting in the same position, waving his arms around when he felt he was open.  Now Andre Dawkins is no Kobe Bryant by a large stretch of the imagination, but you do get an idea of how Coach K would like to see Dawkins play.  Not only shoot the 3, but also feel willing to drive to the basket every so often.

If only Pau Gasol could play like he did in the Olympics during the NBA play-offs.  I realize that Kobe is the man for the Lakers, but I'm talking desire.  I really felt like Gasol played with desire during these Olympics that I just think is missing during the playoffs -- I could be wrong.

No comments: