Monday, August 20, 2012

honeyhoney, Shana Halligan and Monsters Calling Home at The Roxy

It was off to The Roxy to catch Shana Halligan, Monsters Calling Home and honeyhoney.

I got a last minute text from a friend about my interest in heading off to see honeyhoney at The Roxy. It wasn’t a very difficult decision to make. I was there.

First up was Shana Halligan. Her set had a tinge of jazz inspiration. She had a back-up band for this set though she mentioned that she usually has a more electronic sound.

Monsters Calling Home filled the second spot. They have a Silver Lake/Echo Park sound and so I’m sure I’ll run across them one of these days soon at The Satellite or Bootleg.

To close out the night was honeyhoney giving us a near one hour set. Cutest moments of the night: a father brought his two daughters along and they were perhaps the biggest cheerleaders during the last two songs. Honeyhoney did run into banjo technical issues, but it didn’t matter.   We, the fans, love them no matter what.  An encore was demanded and provided.

I usually bring my DSLR to shows, but Roxy does require you to get permission from a band. Due to the short notice, I just brought along my point and shoot versus trying to contact a band. I will eventually post "poorer" than normal quality photos, but currently my Internet connection at home is down.

Update with my point and shoot camera:

Shana Halligan


Monsters Calling Home


honeyhoney


And honeyhoney comment of the night:  We're dealing with a slight banjo casualty.

No comments: