Friday, January 27, 2012

The Chevin, The Californian, Chasing Kings, Nightmare and the Cat at The Satellite

I hung around The Satellite for a longer timeframe than I usually do. The night started off with The Chevin. They're a band from Leeds, England -- a city I ended up in briefly when my flight to Edinburgh got cancelled due to volcanic ash and I was put onto a plane to Leeds. This is a power vocal driven band.

Next up was The Californian. I was pretty sure I'd seen this band before at Villains. I was wrong as soon as they hit the stage. I figured maybe there were two bands out their with slightly different takes on California.  Looking through my posts, I realized the band I saw at Villains was called The Americans. Oh well. A little confusion.  Looking through my list again, I realized that I had in fact seen The Californian.  That initial time, the guys in the band were in ties.  As you can see below, the style in now different.  I suppose they're also changing things up in terms of music.   The crowd was very receptive to their music.

The residency band for the evening was Chasing Kings. Where was the onstage artist who hung out with them at their Silverlake Lounge residency? I shouldn't complain about that. A small group of folks demanded an encore, but the band waved them off and told them to come next week for their final show.

I only stuck around for about half of Nightmare and the Cat's set. They were on past my midnight sleep deadline (and I knew I was going to be out late on Tuesday catching another set of bands). I'd actually gone to the Satellite on this night to catch this band specifically and was disappointed when I looked up at the schedule posted on the door and saw that they were going on at midnight. I was randomly asked at The Satellite if I'd seen this band before. I said that I'd seen them about two years ago. Not the truth. Looking through my posts, the correct answer is 1 year and 4 months. Oh well, maybe time doesn't speed by as quickly as I think.  From my short listen, I say the band's sound has changed into being a bit more frenzied -- or maybe that is just my faded memory.  Either way, I really enjoyed what I heard and hope to catch them again soon (and by soon I don't mean 1 year and 4 months), I unfortunately just needed to go home and crawl into bed.


The Chevin



The Californian





Chasing Kings



Nightmare and the Cat


No comments: