Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Movie Review: My Week with Marilyn

My Week with Marilyn. This movie is told through the eyes of Eddie Redmayne (Colin Clark) who worked on the set of 'The Prince and the Showgirl' and witnessed the tensions between the disciplined Sir Laurence Olivier (Kenneth Branagh) and the emotionally insecure Marilyn Monroe (Michelle Williams). I'm no expert on Marilyn Monroe though I have seen some of her movies such as 'How to Marry a Millionaire.' I will take it on faith that in real life Marilyn Monroe had a fragile state of mind, at least this is my impression from watching the movie. Though at the time she was perhaps the most famous actress in the world, she still felt so insecure in her acting abilities that she always needed her acting coach near her as well as Eddie Redmayne, who provided positive re-enforcement.

To me, this movie is a study of Marilyn Monroe as a the person versus a sex symbol. It isn't so much about the storyline. Does it succeed in looking into Marilyn Monroe? Yes. Could the movie have been more? Yes, but from the outset we know this movie is focusing in on a very small window of time. Given that, I say it works.

No comments: